Wednesday, November 7, 2007

We´re in Bogota, but crazy journey!!!

Hola,

This may take some time to type; I´m typing from a spanish computer and they have a slightly different keyboard than we have. Dinner is going to be served soon and my laptop is not connecting, so I´ll blog a little now and hopefully I´ll be able to get back on here later. Before I begin telling you about today´s crazy events, I´ll go back to us trying to get out of Medellin. We got Belicia´s passport with no problem, we were packed and ready to leave. Jim went downstairs to pay our bill and to send up a bell captain. After he left and I completed the packing, all of the electricity on our floor and the elevators went out!!! I´m wondering if Jim is stuck in the elevators and he is wondering is our luggage is stuck in the elevators. I took the girls and began going down the emergency stairs. As we descended, I began to check the doors leading onto the other floors.... they were all locked. As we continued to descend, I began to get a little nervous thinking we´re not going to be able to get out of the stairwell. Luckily, the first floor did have a crashbar and we made it to the lobby. Gloria was down there with Jim and we needed to move VERY quickly to get to the airport. I told the bell captain the electric was out and we HAD to make our flight. He realized we had been there a very, very long time and he was not about to let us miss our flight. He called some men to go up seven (7) flights of stairs and bring all of our luggage down (7 very large and heavy bags; 4 carry ons). I felt bad, but we weren´t going to miss that plane!!! After a huge whirlwind of getting the luggage and paying the bill (oh yeah, our credit card didn´t want to work!!!!), we finally said ¨good bye¨ to Medellin.

Forty minutes later (and two vehicles for our luggage), we made it to the airport. Before I packed, I asked about the weight of our luggage and were told we could pack 25 K in each bag. As we were rushing to check in, they weighed our luggage and said that we were way over our weight limit. They said we could only have 20 K. After Gloria and about four supervisors went round and round, they realized our plane was taking off in 10 minutes. They said to forget it and let our luggage go. They scambled to get our boarding passes and we rushed to get through security. As you can guess, we were the last ones on the plane, but we made it!!!

Dinner is ready, so I´m going to close. Hopefully, I will be able to get back on later and tell you the rest of the story... not a good night!!

Hasta luego,
Kathy

No comments: