Hola,
We got the call from Racquel... she has Belicia's birth certificate!!! We will speak with Gloria tomorrow to find out what time she will pick us up on Tuesday. Jim and I both agree... as early as possible. Hey, did any of you see on FOX News what happened in Bogota yesterday? They had a major hail storm; when I saw the video footage on FOX, my mouth literally dropped open. Jim went down to the gym and picked up the newspaper so we can bring home some pictures of it. Again, we thank the Lord that we were here this weekend... hummmm... 80 some degrees and sun vs. hail storm (bbbrrrrrrrrr cold!!)... man, that's a tough call; which would you choose?
We've had a nice and relaxing day today. Since Gloria is still gone, we got a taxi from the hotel and went over to the Oviedo Mall again. This mall is unbelievably huge (3-4 levels) and much of it is open air. When we left the hotel, the sky was blue. While we were there, it began to pour. It's very strange to walk along store fronts and it's pouring in the center between you and the other side of the stores. We found a nice shop with tons of hair accessories... very inexpensive, so the girls and I bought a few pieces. They had a nice bookstore; it offered very few bi-lingual books for children, but we found a gem. It tells a story along with pictures and sounds. It will really help her with English sentence structure and her prepositions. For example, if in the paragraph a sentence says, "The frog is sitting behind the dog.", it will have a picture on the bottom of the page showing that. The page beside it will have it in Spanish along with sound bites in Spanish and English for the nouns, frog and dog. It's a tremendous book and she loves it.
We're finding Belicia is allergic to other medicines also. She's been getting a lot of hives the last couple of days. Bethany has a new friend that is 11 years old and is from Germany. They have just adopted a little five year old boy. Both of the parents are doctors and while I was talking with the mother this morning by the pool, Belicia had a horrible nose bleed. Belicia had four more after that, so the mother gave us some homeopathic medicine for treatment. She treats children for allergies and skin conditions and said that this is nothing to be alarmed about; it's not uncommon. I'm not sure, but we are definitely carrying tissues everywhere we go.
We did have a fabulous dinner last night with Daniel and the two dads. Daniel told us something that just blew my mind and I had to ask him again to repeat himself because I thought surely I misunderstood him. He said that here in Medellin alone, there are approximately 30,000 (yes, thirty thousand) children mostly between the ages of 5-15 on the streets. I asked him if most of them had parents with them and he said, "No, most of them are alone or with gangs." Like I had mentioned yesterday, he works on the streets with these children and he told us some of the most heartbreaking stories. Oh... you wish you could somehow help them all...
Oh, by the way, now that you've turned your clocks back, we're on the same time as all of you on the East Coast.
Buenas noches,
Kathy
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay!! Wish you all the best tomorrow. Hope everything goes smoothly in the morning and you get on an early flight to Bogota.
It breaks my heart to see all the young children on the streets begging. Many of the mothers will carry their very young childer around trying to get sympathy and even more money. We saw a mother yesterday with a boy about our son's age and knew that only the intervention of some people at the time of his birth kept him from the same fate.
I love Oviedo mall. That was the bookstore I recommended to you earlier. Great places to eat, movies and good shopping. I think its interesting that more than a few stores have 2 different locations within the mall complex.
Our best to all of you...have a safe trip home and a quick stop in Bogota. It has been great sharing this experience with you. And we wish you all the best.
Laura, Andres and Mateo
Yes!!!!! You'll finally be home soon. Mama and I will be working really hard this week to get teh house clean for ya. Oh guess what. I did the leaves like a week ago and guess what they are all back again...with a vengence. lol. Well I better run. its dinner time. I love ya and can't wait to see you.
Love,Maria
O'Boy, So happy to hear the good news!! Are your bags packed?? Mom is moving along with the party for Friday night. I pray that all goes well tomorrow in order for you to be on schedule on the other end. Have a safe trip to Bogota. You are in our prayers and we love you all!!! "Dad"
Post a Comment