Hi Everyone,
The lab worker came to our room at 9:30 a.m. to draw Windy's blood. She was great; she actually wanted to watch!! No crying... no flinching. Not Bethany... she was in the other room stressing out for her sister... she does not like needles. The results were back to us by 4:00 p.m. Of course we have no idea what anything means; it's a bunch of medical terms in one column and a couple other columns full of numbers. We're going to give it to the doctor at the US Embassy in Bogota and have him tell us what it all means.
Windy had her third swim lesson tonight and at the end, her instructor told me that she is very intelligent and the best student he has ever had. He couldn't believe the way she followed his instructions and the level of swimming she is at after only three lessons. Even though Bethany knows how to swim, her form isn't the greatest. The two of them are going to have a lesson Thursday morning so he can help smooth out her strokes. She didn't want any lessons this summer, but is very excited about this.
Windy has never been taught any type of table etiquette, but is showing a strong desire to learn. She's finally getting down the proper way to cut her food. We only had to tell her once not to lick her plate, lick her knife, drink from her bowl, or butter both sides of her bread... it really has been quite comical. She's trying hard to break the habit of wiping her hands on her shirt... ketchup on white isn't the best combination! I think when we return home, we'll definitely have to go out shopping... clothes are being ruined very quickly!!
We ran into the couple from NYC at dinner and they had their new baby. Windy recognized her right away from the orphanage. After they finished eating, they came over to chat and Olivia was cranky. Windy began talking to her and she calmed right down, then she began to laugh. The mother, Joanne, was so excited because she had been very cranky all day and had never laughed. I think she liked hearing her native language and it calmed her.
We've been reading "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" before they go to bed; it's a bi-lingual book we bought at Barnes & Noble. Windy reads the Spanish and Bethany reads the English. Tonight she was doing her best at trying the rhyming part in English... not mastered, but not bad. She wants to roll her "r" even with the English words; it's cute.
Thanks Laura for the Colombian dish information. Do you know the actual name of the cookbook? I definitely want to get one, but we'll see how easy the recipes are...
Well I'm getting to bed much earlier tonight. We've got to meet Gloria at 10:00 a.m. to get Windy's photo for her passport and either go to the zoo or up the mountain.
Buenos noches,
Kathy
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Its called Secrets of Colombian Cooking and you should be able to order it from any of the major bookstores online.
Have fun today!
I'm so happy that everything's going so well. The fact that she is adapting to you all so well is truly amazing!
Hey Aunt Kath.
I think Bethany got confused on whole cell thing. I wasnt saying that it wasn't charged what I ment is that I have barely any service down here.lol. I told her that I only had a half a bar,lol, meaning service bar. lol. I see where she got that mixed up.
I'll email you daddys number again.
I love ya and hopeto talk to you soon. Give hugs and kisses for me.
I love this blog thing!!!!!!! It's so cool to hear about the day to day stuff. Call me this weekend if you get a chance. I promise I'll answer :-)
Sherry
I don't know what to say but here goes. I am having a ball with the party . Now Mandy wants to help. That's great! She is a fast worker . She can help when we decorate. The day after halloween Cindy is going to buy the candy. Sherry called me today and told me on the day of my birth., Colleen and her girls, are making me breakfast then Sherry and I are going to Salisbury for lunch and she wants to buy me a new outfit. wow!! I am getting tired of doing this. Love you all.Hugs and kisses
Mom (mommom)
Kathy,
The secrets of Colombian Cooking is really good. It is by Patricia McClausland-Gallo. It is in English. We got it though Amazon. The kids like the food. The guiso recipe calls for vinegar and really is not needed if you decide to make it.
Gina
Post a Comment