Hola,
I know, I know... very bizarre sculptures. Today we visited the Museum of Antioquia here in Medellin. We strolled through the inside for awhile. Bethany enjoyed it, but Belicia held on for about half way and then became bored. Of course it was hard to understand Gloria as she tried to explain some of the art, but from what we could gather, there is one artist that portrays all of his sculptures (above) and paintings, how shall I say.... oversized. There was an entire wing that displayed his paintings... everything and everyone was comically oversized. I didn't take any pictures inside, but the photos above give you an idea of what we saw.
Okay, now for the bad news... Gloria said that she spoke with Fanny this morning. Fanny said that she called the people that are retrieving Belicia's birth certificate and they said that we should have it Wednesday morning. Timing will be everything; if we do not apply for Belicia's visa by Thursday, we won't be home until later next week (remember, The US Embassy is closed on Fridays). Come to find out, Monday is a holiday, All Saints Day, which will possibly hold things up another day.
At breakfast this morning, we met some very interesting people. The buffet bar was out of syrup for Bethany's french toast and a gentleman noticed that I needed help asking for some. He asked me in English what I needed and then found a server and asked in Spanish for me. Come to find out, he was born in Cuba and was in the Peter Pan program when he was 13 years old (I believe he said it was a program for Cuban refugees... again, hard to understand with the Spanish accent) and was adopted by a family in Iowa (he looked to be around 50, so it was many years ago). He was raised in Iowa, but now lives in Bogota. He was extremely helpful in giving us some ideas of places to visit and eat while in Bogota. While I was speaking with him, Jim met a family, from various places throughout the States, that was here for a wedding. They know several people that have adopted internationally and was very interested in ours. They said the same thing we keep hearing about how Americans are terrified of Colombia. They all said their friends thought they were crazy to come here. There was a large group of them... mostly in their 60's and they said that they have had a fabulous time here.
Jim got a haircut today in the hotel salon. You would expect at a resort such as this sky high prices, but no. Check out these prices... a man's haircut is only $10, manicure is only $5, and a pedicure is only $8. When Jim was asking at the front desk the price of pedicures (for me, not him), he questioned the $8 (because it's so cheap) and they told him that they realize it's a little expensive and in town you can get one for $5... that's amazingly low. Jim keeps telling me to get one, but I just haven't felt like it. He wanted to schedule a massage for me (only $10... again, amazingly low), but it's so uncomfortable having these kinds of services done when you can't understand what they are saying and they can't understand you.
We asked Gloria about going to the coffee plantation. She said that it was still not safe to go and Racquel did not want us travelling far. This was the first time she told us how far the plantation is... two (2) hours away. We had no idea it was that far, obviously we would not want to go. We thought maybe 15-20 out of town... well, at least we're enjoying the coffee!! While at the museum's gift shop, we tried a marmalade made with a bit of coffee... yummy!!! They were out of stock (just the sample was available), so when we went to the grocery store, we found two (2) jars of the same brand... considerably cheaper than the gift shop. We also found a bag of these coffee candies that they give out at the mall when you exchange money... again... yummy. So bottom line... our favorite treats we've picked up: chocolate covered coffee beans, some kind of fruit/coffee marmalade, and coffee candy. I'm sure versions of these items can be found in the States, but I've never seen them in little Seaford.
Yes, I know I'm rambling, but I'm going stir crazy. This is what Jim did tonight - since we're staying at the hotel all day tomorrow, Jim said, "Since we're staying home tomorrow, let's...". What did he say?... "home"??? The servers keep telling us, "This you home, whatever you like". Sssshhhh... if you're quiet, you can hear me screaming. Honestly, I am saying all of this light heartily.
Oh, before I close... THANK YOU to everyone that helped with the Upward Soccer Ceremony tonight. It was such a blessing to know that everything was taken care of and we did not have to worry about a thing. Jim spoke with Jason tonight and found out everything went well and the entertainer/speaker that we hired did a fabulous job. Jim can't wait to speak with Pastor Ken tomorrow to find out how many people gave their heart to the Lord... remember basketball... we had 30 some children and few adults give their heart to the Lord for the first time (that was exciting!!). Basketball sign-ups begin November 19th... will we be there???? Mom, I'm joking, we'll be home soon.
We need your vote... Jim and I are going to rename ourselves. Which do you like better:
Instead of Sleepless in Seattle, do you like
-Going Mad in Medellin
-Crazy in Colombia
-Captive in Colombia
Buenas noches,
Kathy
8 comments:
I vote for Going Mad in Medellin. At least you've not lost your sense of humor.
Colleen
hey guys - mad in Medellin would work - or you could go MANIACAL in MEDELLIN waiting for paperwork : ) HAHAHA - we miss you guys - come home soon!!!
Hope
Glad you got to go to the "Botero" Museum. Botero is a very famous artist from Medellin. The fat people are his trademark style. Many of the other paintings in that wing of the museum are from his personal collections.
Hopefully everything will come through for you to get to Bogota on Thursday. Remember the embassy doctor only does appointments in the afternoon. You might want to call and make an appointment as soon as you know when your flight will arrive in Bogota.
Laura
lol. aunt kath. I think it is a tie between mad in medellin and captive in columbia. lol. Man this thing is taking forever. I know how you feel aunt kath. Ready to come and so close but not there yet. The awards night was absolutely wonderful. The Ballon man was awesome and really funny. lol. he was great!!! Well I gotta run I just woke up(lol. its 9:30) and I need breakfast.lol. Il ove ya'll and give my love to everyone else.
Love, maria
HELP US!! HELP US!! WE CAN'T GET OUT!! JIMMY & I SAY CAPTIVE IN COLUMBIA! YOU WILL HAVE TO REQUEST AN OLD BRAND OF COFFEE---CHOCK FULL OF NUTS!! HA HA
HANG IN THERE-- A MONTH FROM NOW THIS WILL ALL BE HISTORY! TINA & JIMMY
Hi my loves, Gosh,Iam getting tired of this long stay away. I know you all are too. Really enjoyed Mon. evening. You guys would have been proud of the kids. Daddy has the heat down to 50 degrees in the bedroom. I am out of here. Miss and love you all. Mom
Hi my loves, Gosh,Iam getting tired of this long stay away. I know you all are too. Really enjoyed Mon. evening. You guys would have been proud of the kids. Daddy has the heat down to 50 degrees in the bedroom. I am out of here. Miss and love you all. Mom
Hi, Enjoyed the pictures.
This artist must have been on the large size when he came into this world! I vote on Captive in Colombia. I would be "Crazy" in Colombia unless I had a hammer, a saw and a cordless drill!!! Let's pray that you have a good day on Wednesday and things start falling in place. Love you!!! "Dad"
Post a Comment