Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Archie's chef's hat and the lamp...

Overlooking Medellin

Gloria, our guide/interpreter

Outside the resort... in the parking lot... Windy wanted the two of them to wear another set of matching shirts that she picked out. She loves cats and they have a cat on the front.


Hola,

The mystery was solved this morning... I told Jim that since we are here still, we should probably have Windy's therapist at the orphanage speak with her... are there deep issues going on that we don't know about?? The director of Casa de Maria thought it was an excellent idea and said to bring her by this morning. Before the therapist spoke with Windy, I had the wonderful opportunity to speak with her in great detail about how Windy behaved while at the orphanage, to talk with her about the meltdown, to talk to her about how we were blending, how Bethany was handling things, and how I was doing. I guess I had my first, ever, therapy session. She said Windy was always very polite, never rude or mean spirited, and showed signs of being very intelligent. The therapist said that she noticed while I talked, I kept mentioning at different times how we felt as though we had always been together as a family; she blends in perfectly. She asked why do I think that has happened. I told her about how strong we are in our walk with the Lord and that we prayed, as a family, that God would prepare her heart for us and ours for her... that when we met, it would not be like the homestudy agency and the books said, it would be an almost immediate bond. She said that it was completely amazing to hear this because God did answer that prayer. She said that now everything adds up and makes sense to her. She said that with all of the many children that she has worked with, Windy's bond with us before we ever met was extremely unusual. During therapy and around the orphanage, Windy would speak about us as though she had known us forever and has always been a part of our family. She said everything that we have been doing the last week is great... showing her a great amount of attention, giving a ton of love, standing strong with our boundaries, and not buying her a ton of things. After we spoke, she brought in Windy and spoke with her alone. AAAHHHH... the mystery was solved. Earlier yesterday, I cleaned up their room and removed the Archie's Chef's hat from on top of the lamp that sits beside her side of the bed. She was extremely tired and this upset her... in her mind it scared her... makes sense... right???? Poor Jim... he's in trouble... three females now!!! He calls us his "tres chicas" (three girls).

Windy told two people today, one was at the orphanage, that, "My name is Belicia Baker... my new American name." She is so funny!!

We went to a Colombian souvenir shop and coffee shop today. The coffee is sooooo good here!!! Since this month there is an election here in Medellin, we were told it is not safe to leave the area and visit a coffee plantation. They said during political times, things become more dangerous. Mom, Dad, Kenny, and Nancy... we promise we are not going to the plantation and are going to stay close by... love you guys!! The souvenir shop was great... we were the only ones there, but it was difficult to browse when all I kept hearing was "Mom... Ma... Mom... Ma". The girls saw soooo many things that they wanted.

We're going to stay at the hotel tomorrow (Tuesday). Windy has her blood work done in the morning and has a swim lesson at 5:00 p.m. Jim's really not hearing any better, yet... hopefully soon. Bethany and I had "Mommy and Bethany" time tonight. Windy and Jim played basketball on American Girl's website while Bethany and I went to the restaurant for dessert and coffee. We brought our magnetic hangman and an American Girl catalog and had a very nice time together. Windy had so much fun playing with Jim, she never missed us at all. Her therapist also said that she was very surprised to see how close Jim and Windy are; she noticed that they "clicked" the day of placement (last Tuesday). She said, again, that it is very unusual because these children never have a father figure in their life and tend to stay away from the dads for some time and gravitate to the mom.

Oh yeah, Bethany and I met another American family tonight; they are from NYC, just got in today, and are here for their second adoption. I was so excited to hear English and find someone that could really understand what I was saying... I became a little chatter box.

Jennifer, Bethany does miss her riding lessons and can't wait to see (and ride) Sophia again!! I guess since it's 12:35 a.m. here (1:35 a.m. for you), I should close. Estoy muy cansada (I'm very tired)!!

Hasta la vista,
Kathy






4 comments:

Laura S said...

It sounds like everything is going very well for you down there. Good to know about the election, hadn't heard that. I am starting to get really excited about our trip! Hearing your stories makes me ready to live out my own.

I think it is truly amazing how well Windy has bonded with you all, especially at her age. It comes through your stories very naturally. Did you make it to the little colonial style village on top of the hill downtown? Its a replica of the how things used to be and offers extrodinary views of the city. Some other places nearby to visit...the state museum and the botero sculptures, the botanical gardens and there is a great place near the top of the mountain pass to the airport to get empanadas. They are some of the best I have had on my trips down there.

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone!
It is so good to be able to communiate with you on the internet. We check it every morning and every night and printout any updates. We are all praying for all of you and know that everything will be fine. Tell the girls I need to know their fav orte color. Have a good day! See you soon! Love you all! MOM Nancy

Anonymous said...

We have sooo enjoyed reading your updates, especially Emilie. The pictures are beautiful. It sounds as if the Lord has really blessed your bonding! Praise Him. We're praying for you guys daily. Sounds like your first meltdown went well. God is so good to get us through!! We'll continue to pray for peace and wisdom for you, Jim & Bethany and we'll pray for a feeling of security for Windy. We can relate...Love you guys, The Fraziers.

Anonymous said...

Jim and Kathy, Bethany and Windy,

I have been enjoying your updates and I have been praying for all of you. It is wonderful to see how the Lord is working everything out. I am asking him to give Jim and Kathy wisdom as they help Windy and Bethany adjust to a brand new life.

There is a big church family anxiously waiting for you all to come home. We love you all!

Pastor Ken