Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Battle of the Wills... guess who won?

Last night, Jim playing basketball with Windy on American Girl's website

Sightseeing today at the little replica town (couldn't seem to catch the name of it no matter how many times Gloria said it)



Tonight - Jim teaching Windy how to play Go Fish. They played most of the game in Spanish; they had so much fun.

Tonight - Story time


Hi,

We had a "lovely" beginning to our day today. Without going into details, we had a small battle of the wills this morning over shoes and going down to breakfast. Her therapist told us how she tries to get her way and to definitely not give into it or we will have serious problems later (we already understood that aspect parenting). Bottom line, Jim placed her on her bed while she cried and I explained to her that until she did what we were asking her to do, she and I were not going down to breakfast. Jim and Bethany left and in about two minutes she stopped crying. I went into her room and talked with her and she was finally ready to comply and join Papa and Bethany for breakfast. I hope she learns quickly that my will is much stronger than hers and crying in those types of situations have no effect on me. We walked down the hall to the elevator and she told me "te amos" (I love you) and asked for besos (kisses). When we walked into the restaurant, Jim was so happy; he said he was praying for us.

We didn't get her passport photo taken today; we're going to do that Friday. We did, however, go to the notary public for the papers for immigration. After that, we went to a small area that is a replica town of the way things used to be. It had a parsonage, church, school, etc. It had an incredible view of the city. Laura, we didn't even have to ask Gloria about it; that is where she suggested going this morning. I think she tries to keep everything in close proximity. The notary was near this attraction and when we go out Friday, the office for passports is on the side of the city where we need to go to take the metro-car up the mountain.

Tonight for dinner Windy asked to eat in our room which was fine with Jim and me. I asked the girls if they wanted to split a cheeseburger and fries and they said, "yes". When dinner arrived, Windy said she didn't want it and wanted chips instead. We knew she liked the burger because we ordered it by the pool the other night and she thoroughly enjoyed it. We basically put her plate on the table and figured she would eat when she got hungry. After about 15 minutes, she finally sat at the table and ate her fries, but then she came to us not wanting to finish her meal and asking for chips again. What she didn't know was that Jim and I were already prepared for her in Spanish (we used on-line translation) because we knew she was going to try not eating her dinner and ask for junk food. When I was able to speak to her in complete sentences and she understood what I was saying, she just made a noise "mmmmmmm" and went back to the table and finished. She is definitely trying to answer the question, "Where are the boundaries?"

I just ordered from Barnes & Noble the Colombian cookbook Laura and Gina recommended. Ladies, the one you recommended was the same one I wanted to get after looking on-line last night. It will be at home waiting for me when we return. Thanks to both of you for all of your help throughout our journey; you've been a blessing to us!!

For all of you Joyce Meyer fans, we're watching her right now in Spanish. Unfortunately, they are not using the English sub-titles, but it's funny because I've watched her so much I know some of what she's saying.

Nancy, Jim wanted me to tell you, "Muy bien, MaMa... te amos!!"

Chao,
Kathy

3 comments:

Laura S said...

Something to ask about while you are there is the Paisa (pron. Pie-sa)culture. People from Antioquia (the state Medellin is in) are considered paisas...it is very much a cultural thing (kind of like being southern or midwestern). Since Windy is from there it would be fun for you to know about as she gets older and see how much of that remains in her.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!
You are sure holding up better than I would - being in a foreign culture, language and all.
I really admire you.
We can't wait to meet Windy! (I'll try not to squeeze her too tight upon that first greeting!)
Can't wait for you to get home,
Love, Di
My verse for this mornings devotions: For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. 1 Cor.4:20

Anonymous said...

Hello there!! Lurker here, thoroughly enjoying your blog. :) I'm a fellow adoptive mom (my two were adopted from La Casita de Nicolas in Medellin in 2002 and 2004). Anyway...just for the record books, the replica village you visited is called Pueblita Paisa. :)

Enjoy your stay!
Michelle